Fried Potatoes Recipe

This week it’s one word: Leftovers.

I am not a big leftover fan. I try to make the right portions so there aren’t any, but there’s always those nights that there’s an abundant amount of something left on the table. This week I had 3 small baked potatoes leftover from dinner and stuck them in the fridge. There are several ways you can enjoy these a second time, I chose to fry them up with some butter, garlic, onion and seasoning. My mother in law and I enjoyed them immensely! ;)
Fried Potatoes
leftover baked potatoes, halved and sliced
butter
garlic
sliced onions
freshly ground pepper medley
sea salt
Put enough butter in a skillet to fry potatoes in, approximately one tablespoon per small baked potato. Melt butter over medium-high heat then add garlic and onions (however much you like, I used 1 large clove and half of a small onion) and saute until onions are tender. Add potato slices and grind some pepper over them, toss to coat. Let cook for several minutes, allowing the potatoes to brown. Flip over and cook on the other side. A few minutes before removing the potatoes, grind some seal salt over the top and toss. Enjoy.
Here are some other ideas for reheating leftover potatoes:
  • Cut into cubes and fry as above with the addition of crumbled bacon for morning hashbrowns
  • Cut into wedges, place on cookie sheet, season and bake
  • Cut potato in half, smash each side, add butter and microwave
  • Scoop out pulp, mash and fry for quick potato pancakes
  • Cut into long halves, sprinkle with crumbled bacon, green onion slices and shredded cheddar cheese and bake on a cookie sheet
Your turn! What are your ideas for using up baked potatoes?

PLEASE ONLY ADD YOUR LINK IF YOU ARE PARTICIPATING IN THRIFTY THURSDAY. To participate, simply add the link to your thrifty post below (NOT TO YOUR HOMEPAGE) and link back to this Thrifty Thursday post from yours. Leave a comment and visit the other TT links to comment on theirs. That’s it! :)

11 Responses to Fried Potatoes Recipe

Tami says:

MMM! That would be the perfect breakfast right now!

Heidi says:

I love fried potatoes. I always slice mine for some reason and fry them with a ton of sliced onions salt and pepper… yummy :) That’s the way my mom and grandma make them.

I don’t like leftovers either and do the same thing try to make just enough. Unless I’m having company I err on the side of less as there’s always dessert to fill up the last bit of tummy. :)

Your potatoes sound yummy and look even better!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie says:

This picture made me seriously hungry; I love fried potatoes!

Yum…I love fried potatoes!

pinkstripes says:

YUM! Potatoes are always good.

MaryBeth says:

YUM-O… I love fryer taters, these look so good. I could go for them tonight for dinner.

Erin Orr says:

I love fried potatoes made from baked potatoes! They’ve got a great texture.

Bunny says:

I don’t like having leftovers cause nodoby in this house will eat anything left over so I try not to make alot too. My family absolutely loves fried potatoes!

Rebecca says:

I always make sure to have leftovers. Otherwise – what will I have for lunch? ;)

On the rare occasion that I have a leftover baked potato I love to scoop out the filling and mash it with butter and herbs. I stuff it back into its shell, drizzle with either a bit of grated old cheddar cheese or olive oil and more herbs– and bake until hot. Yum.

Culinary Cory says:

I’m a huge fan of using as many food scraps as I can. You should see my fridge right now. Little mini zip lock bags of things just waiting to be used in other things. Sometime that’s where I get my best ideas.