Grilled Chicken Salad with Herbed Tomato Vinaigrette

Some time ago I received a cookbook called The Complete 15 Minute Gourmet. I’m often disappointed with books like this as they tend to use all types of prepared foods (condensed soups, prepackaged mac and cheese, etc). However, this book is different, very different. Enough so that it has earned a permanent home in my cookbook collection. Instead of prepackaged preservative packed foods, these recipes use fresh ingredients and everything tastes wonderful.

I’ve already made 4 different recipes from this book and have several others earmarked, 2 of which are on my dinner menu this week. I’ve written a review of this cookbook which is available on FamilyCorner.com, and will share all four of the fabulous recipes here that I have made and enjoyed.
Today is Grilled Chicken Salad w/Herbed Tomato Vinaigrette which can be found on page 20. My mother in law was here for a visit and we were both hungry for a light but satisfying lunch. I thumbed through the book and found this. She and I both loved it and I will definitely make it again.
I did substitute romaine lettuce for the spinach leaves as that is what I had on hand.

Grilled Chicken Salad w/Herbed Tomato Vinaigrette
adapted from The Complete 15-Minute Gourmet
For the Chicken:
16 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
olive oil for brushing
dash of salt and pepper
For the Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil (I used 2 tsp dried)
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano (I used 1 tsp dried)
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp pepper, or to taste
salt to taste
To complete the recipe:
10 cups spinach leaves, stems removed (this yields 4 cups after steaming) – (I used romaine lettuce, I did not wilt it)
1/2 cup frozen corn kernels (I used canned)
1/2 cup (4-oz) chevre cheese, coarsely crumbled (I used garlic feta cheese)
Heat a stovetop grill pan over high heat. Lightly brush both sides of the chicken breasts with oil. Reduce the heat to medium-high; cook for 5 minutes per side or until lightly browned and thoroughly cooked. Transfer to a plate and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
While the chicken is cooking, whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl.
Rinse the spinach in cool water. (I skipped the next section for wilting as I used romaine instead) Transfer to a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cover and cook without additional water, except for the drops that cling to the leaves, for 2 minutes or until slightly wilted. Uncover and remove the pan from the heat.
Slice the chicken into 1/2 inch diagonal strips.
To assemble the salads, spread steamed spinach on each plate. Top with the chicken strips, corn, and chevre cheese.
Stir the vinaigrette and drizzle it over the salads.

Coming up next: Sausage Jambalaya

18 Responses to Grilled Chicken Salad with Herbed Tomato Vinaigrette

Tami says:

Great looking salad, Amanda. I’m not sure that I would care for the corn in it but the rest of it sounds super good. I love feta cheese in salads.

Bunny says:

It looks very light and satidfing Amanda, perfect for those hot summer days we’ll soon be getting!

Tiffiny Felix says:

This looks awesome…I love main-dish salads :) I, too, stay away from the “quick and easy” cookbooks because they are usually full of processed convienience foods, but I’m going to look for this book. If it’s got stuff like this salad in it, I need to see the rest! :)

Joanne Choi says:

agree with you on the “quick and easy” cookbooks using too many processed foods… but this salad, with your substitutions looks amazing…on my list for next week’s meals…

If you’ll make me this salad, I’ll share my pumpkin bars with you!

kate says:

that looks awesome! i’m going to see if i can get the book from my library. i agree about the processed foods in the “quick” cookbooks. i’m not inspired by that. i’m inspired by simple, quick, but REAL food. so this looks so great.

Ann says:

This salad looks delicious. Can’t wait to try it. And I am definitely going to get this cookbook.

MaryBeth says:

This is a wonderful looking meal for a warm night. Very quick, easy and most of all GOOD!!!

Erin Orr says:

My husband and I have a grilled chicken salad at least once a week…it’s an easy fix and it’s so tasty! We’ll have to try this to “fancy it up” a little some night. Looks good!

Corrinne says:

Yum! This recipe sounds great for Memorial Day! I work Chavrie goat cheese and even though you used feta, i think the goat cheese would add a wonderful creamy tang to this salad. Thanks for a great recipe, Amanda!

Culinary Cory says:

I love this. I’m going to have to try this vinaigrette. Looks like it has a ton of flavor.

I just read through your last several posts and everything that you’ve made from that new cookbook looks terrifc!

In your honest opinion is the 15 minutes true? Or is it 15 minutes after prep time? Thank you for sharing. I’m going to havve to check it out.

Thanks ingrid! I would definitely say it’s 15 minutes of cooking time after prep. The author encourages prepping things ahead (having chopped onions in the fridge etc) and also tells us that if necessary you can stop by the supermarket and buy the precut veggies or fruits if need be as a time saver. Everything I prepared cooked quickly and went together nicely, and the taste! Yum, everything was wonderful. I actually have made a couple more recipes that I want to post as well :)

Tiffiny Felix says:

Had to tell you I bought this book yesterday, and, WoW! I have a long list of stuff I want to try :) Thanks!

Can't wait to see what you make from the book Tiffany!

Mary J says:

Looks really good. So I copied your recipe for later use. Thanks for posting.

Oh Mary, I had almost forgotten about this recipe, thanks for reminding me. It's SOOO good!

Annie says:

WoW! this salad look simply irresistible!! Thank you for sharing.