Thrifty Thursday: Week #8

This week I was poking around FamilyCorner.com and found a bunch of great tips from message board members. Sharing some of those here:

• Freshen your rooms for less: I have sprinkled Baby powder with lavender on a throw rug, then vacuumed it up. It makes my vacuum smell great for many uses.
  • To make a homemade mocha latte, make a cup of hot chocolate and put in 1 tablespoon instant coffee. Add a little milk and top off with a dollop of whipped cream.
  • I got tired of printing pictures, cutting them out and tossing the leftover photo paper. I now use the scraps to make stencils.
  • I purchase coffee filters at the dollar store and use them to cover foods to be warmed in the microwave. They are far less expensive than paper towels or paper plates.
  • Make your own “Element Crystals” with rock salt, fragrance oil and food coloring.
  • To keep my coupons so I could find them in the store, I’m using a small photo album and putting them in like pictures.
  • I only use the clothes dryer for five minutes or so with some loads (just long enough to fluff the clothes). I put one load in the dryer and only leave them there as long as it takes me to load the washer with the next load. Then I hang the clothes to dry.
  • To save ink when using your printer, change the font color to gray. You still use the black ink, but a lesser amount. Everything will be just as legible, yet your cartridge will last twice as long.
  • Use odd socks to make covers for cell phones or handheld games!

What are your Thrifty Thursday tips?

6 Responses to Thrifty Thursday: Week #8

Cheri Sicard says:

There are some good thrifty tips this week Amanda. For this Thrifty Thursday I posted my favorite anytime salsa recipe — takes no time at all to make, uses largely pantry ingredients and is 100% delicious.

Alisa - Frugal Foodie says:

Those are great! I will have to see if my husband is keen on changing the printer black down a notch.

It is nothing new on the thrift front, but a couple weeks ago we finally switched to using cloth napkins and kitchen towels more often. For years I have bought the pick-a-size paper towels, which literally last three or four times longer per roll than the others; but switching to fabric napkins really hadn’t occured to me, so obvious!

I bake bread from scratch too, but use easy, no rise recipes quite a bit to not only save money, but time. There are a couple such recipes on my blog.

Culinary Cory says:

There will be no way I will use my old socks for cell phone covers. They are more likely to become cheap dog toys. :) I like the idea of printing in gray to save on ink.

Great ideas! Thanks Amanda – love the tip about using coffee filters!

The Blonde Duck says:

I’ve tried baking soda on the carpet, but never baby powder. I’ll have to see if it works better!

Bunny says:

You’ve done a fantastic job getting these tips together Amanda, I can certainly use most of them!