Homemade Dilly Beans

Homemade Dilly Beans

My daughter fell in love with these things called Dilly Beans. Her best friend (ya, her BFF) turned her on to them and she was sold. However, a jar of these (about the size of a jelly jar) costs $7.00! Sheesh, proud of those dilly beans. :-P

So needless to say I wasn’t buying a whole lot of these, especially considering how fast she burns through a jar of pickles. So instead of going broke feeding my daughter’s addition for these tasty morsels, I decided to make my own.

As you know from Thrifty Thursday Week #4, how to reuse pickle juice, you can make your own pickled vegetables. So that’s just what I did. I think I probably did it backwards, but hey, give me a break, I was winging it! LOL I actually let them sit in the fridge for a week, THEN I brought them to a boil. So I have reversed that process in the instructions below.

Dilly Beans

fresh green beans
pickle juice

Snip the ends off of the green beans and rinse well in cold water. Pour pickle juice into a sauce pan and add the fresh green beans. Bring to a boil and simmer for only a few minutes. Turn off heat and let the juice cool to room temperature. Add juice and beans back to the pickle jar and return to the refrigerator. When cold, eat and enjoy!

7 Responses to Homemade Dilly Beans

Cheri Sicard says:

I love pickles too, so will have to try the beans. Kristin might also like Pickled Asparagus – we have a recipe at FabulousFoods.com.

This week’s post at the FabulousFoods.com blog is on Making your own salad dressings – frugal, healthier and more environmentally friendly.

EmmyJMommy says:

My daughter and I typically drink all of our extra pickle juice, but I am going to try these!!! Very interesting!!!

Erin says:

My Mammy (that’s my grandma) makes these for me! She actually goes through the whole canning process and pickles them for me. They are SO yummy!

Carrie says:

I have never heard to this…. What a great way to use pickle juice.

I have posted a yummy bread recipes that my son and I created the other day.

Liesl says:

I grew up on these things!!! I actually have been wanting to learn to can for years just so I could can pickled green beans! Last year was my first year doing it and I couldn’t believe how tasty my version was!!! I would love to try this easy take on it…seeing as how canning takes a long time!

MaryBeth says:

I am not a big fan of beans, however your dilly beans sounds really good.

Erin O. says:

I’ve never heard of dilly beans, but I love dill pickles and green beans, so why WOULDN’T I like dilly beans? I’ll have to give them a try!