Old Farmer’s Oatmeal Bread

As I said before, I am trying to make more bread instead of buying it. We love having bread with dinner, so I have started trying different recipes I have. Just like the Herb Cheese Bread, this recipe also comes from The Old Farmer’s Almanac Everyday Cookbook.

I’ll admit, when I it came to the step that called for adding the molasses I was skeptical. I was very worried that the taste of the bread would be “weird” and that my family would turn their noses up. The molasses also gave this bread a deep brown color. Despite my concerns I carried on and finished the recipe.

Much to my surprise this bread was delicious AND my family all liked it! It actually had a bit of a nutty flavor, even though there were not nuts. This bread would be wonderful with some sunflower seeds thrown in!
Here’s the recipe, please let me know if you try it :)
The Old Farmer’s Favorite Oatmeal Bread
(makes 3 loaves, I froze two)
2 packages active dry yeast (4 1/2 teaspoons)
3 cups quick cooking rolled oats
4 cups boiling water
7 1/2 – 8 cups bread flour, divided (I actually had to add an additional cup)
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup molasses
Grease three 9×5 loaf pans. Dissolve or proof the yeast in 1/4 cup lukewarm water in a small bowl. Place the oats in a large bowl and pour the boiling water over them (make sure all the oats are covered but don’t stir). Cool to lukewarm.
Stir in two cups of flour and the yeast mixture. Cover, put in a warm place, and allow to rise until doubled in bulk.
Punch down (this was so wet that punching down was a mess LOL) and add the salt, oil, molasses and enough remaining flour (I added all the remaining flour plus one cup) to make a firm dough. Knead on a floured board until the dough is smooth and pliable.
Divide and shape into three loaves, then place each in a loaf pan (this is where I wrapped the other two loaves and put them in the freezer). Cover and allow to rise until nearly doubled.
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the bread is well browned and sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on racks before slicing.

I’m always looking for bread recipes, so if you have a favorite please share! :)

18 Responses to Old Farmer’s Oatmeal Bread

we are never full says:

this looks so hearty and healthy.

AK Mom says:

Please visit my blog and accept my appreciation :) (http://akbaking.blogspot.com)

Judy says:

If you love baking bread – you’ve GOT to get the book Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day – fabulous! I love this book and the final result is incredible.

Tami says:

You sure are makin’ some pretty breads! It looks delicious.

I’m going to drag out my bread maker to make some italian bread for the pepperoni rolls that I’m making for tomorrow’s football games.

Heather says:

Ooh, I bet this is delicious with a smear of peanut butter and banana jam. Yum.

HoneyB says:

You did a beautiful job! I haven’t baked bread in so long – I need to!

Maria says:

The bread looks awesome! I am posting a french baguette recipe tomorrow so stop by! It was great!

culinarycory.com says:

Looks hearty and full of texture.

toxobread says:

Mmmm looks like a wonderful, hearty loaf! I used to shy away from molasses (because I, too, thought the bread would taste “weird” – horrible memories of Grade 8 kids having to make “gingerbread” in class…) but it gives bread a nice (nutty? wholesome?) flavor after all, especially loaves made with whole wheat.

For special occasions, I really like making honey vanilla challah with cardamom. I have a loaf of pane al cioccolato (Italian Chocolate Bread) proofing right now for a party tomorrow, which is great too. Let me know if you’re interested and I can send the recipes your way. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

- Jackie

pinkstripes says:

Yum! Your loaf looks great. I’m hesitant about molasess. too. I’m glad it worked out.

You can’t even see the oats, and that looks SO good!
    Have you seen the No Knead Bread recipes floating around? SO GOOD and so simple.
    The original recipe (go to my link for Basically Baked or any of the others–there’s two recipes out there), but one of the original’s calls for some ale or lager. We don’t drink, so I just used that amount in extra water. The white bread is SOOOO good. But I keep trying different additions of whole wheat, 10 grain, etc. Have some ready to bake this afternoon. Can’t wait.
    Your breads all look great.

Navita says:

really nice bread…looks moist..will go gr8 with fresh butter.

MaryBeth says:

another wonderful looking and hearty bread…keep up the good work.

we are never full – thanks!! :)

AKA mom – I'll stop by, thanks!

Judy – thanks, I will check that out!

Tami – those sound delicious, have fun!

Heather – mmm that DOES sound good :)

HoneyB – it's almost therapeutic :)

Maria – Ooo I will definitely come check that out!

Cory – thanks it was delish!

toxobread – I'm not a gingerbread fan, hence shying away. It does give it a nice nutty flavor, will have to try it with whole wheat flour next time. That italian Chocolate Bread sounds wonderful!

pinkstripes – yes it was great!

katrina – thanks, I will go check those out!

Marybeth & Navita – thank you!

Looks delicious. I need to try making bread…never done it yet!

The Blonde Duck says:

It looks wonderful! Very homey and yummy!

Bunny says:

I love making homemade bread, this looks great Amanda! Have you tried making homemade rolls yet for sandwiches, you’ll love doing it Amanda!!

Debbie & Blonde Duck – Thank you!

Bunny – Not yet, would love a recipe for homemade sandwich rolls though! HINT HINT :)