Angel Food Cake

My daughter has been begging me to make an angel food cake. I’m embarrassed to admit I’ve never whipped eggs into stiff peaks. :-o Shocking! So I am very pleased at my first attempt, everything was perfect! This delicious cake came out beautiful. It’s perfect plain, with fruit or a sauce. Above a warmed a little lemon curd and it was lovely!

Angel Food Cake
from Annie’s Recipes

1 1/2 cup egg whites (11-12)
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups cake flour

Beat egg whites with water, salt, and vanilla until foamy. Add cream of tartar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Add 1 cup sifted sugar – 1/4 at a time, folding 25 strokes after each addition. Fold in flour sifted with remaining one cup of sugar – 1/4 at each time, 15 strokes after each addition. Pour into ungreased, 10 inch tube pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes.

17 Responses to Angel Food Cake

Bunny says:

You did a wonderful job Amanda, it looks perfect!

So nice and light after the holidays. I love it paired with the lemon curd. Great pictures!

Navita says:

i have beaten egg whites (although i do not have a hand blender) with a mere hand held, battery operated shake mixer…;p

but tht poor thing passed away as the tiny motor could not take a lot of load…lol..

m still scared of beating egg whites.

Marie says:

Fantastic job for a first timer!! Well done you!!!

Steph says:

That looks amazing!! Im still scared about attempting an angle food cake!

The cake looks wonderful. I think fresh strawberries would be great with it!

Kaitlin says:

Congrats on your first time! It looks perfect, you’re a pro!

Cheri Sicard says:

As much as you cook Amanda, how is it even possible that you have never whipped egg whites before? I am shocked. If you had bet, I would have lost a lot of money!

Congrats on a great first angel food cake.

For those new to working with egg whites, here are a few hints from the FabulousFoods.com archives:

Egg whites WILL NOT WHIP (they just won’t) if they come into contact with even the slightest trace of fat, grease, or egg yolk. This is why it’s a good idea when separating eggs to have three bowls: one for the yolks, one for the whites and one bowl to separate over so that you won’t have to throw out a whole batch if one yolk breaks while separating. It is also a good idea to wash your hands, beaters and bowl before beginning as well, to make sure they are grease free.

Egg whites that are at room temperature will whip easier and faster. You can add 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar to help the process along (although it is not necessary unless your recipe calls for it.) Use an electric mixer for best results, although you can use a whisk if you want a good workout.

Cooking for Comfort by Jennifer says:

This looks fabulous!

The Blonde Duck says:

I’ve never made angel food cake either. Looks fabulous!

Apples and Butter says:

that looks light and airy…just how angel food cake should be! Great first go!

AmyRuth says:

Wow Amanda, perfecto! didn’t you just love it? I’ve only made angel food cake once and was surprised how easy it came together. Beginners luck maybe.
    Yours is awesome
    AmyRuth

chefsecrets says:

Looking very nice,,,you have done good job

MaryBeth says:

Wonderful and light looking Angel Food cake Amanda…Great job.

Sara says:

I love homemade angel food cake, it’s so much better than store bought!

Lynda says:

Your cake looks perfect! I admit to not having made Angel food cake from scratch before. I just found your blog this week and have enjoyed browsing!

[...] 1/2 years ago I made this angel food cake and it was great. I compared the recipes and they aren’t much different, just a couple of [...]