Cranberry Caramel Bars

I had bought a bag of fresh cranberries with the intention of making a recipe… but I couldn’t find the recipe! LOL Soooo, I didn’t want them to go to waste. I went over to Alicia’s Recipes and found one for Cranberry Caramel Bars. Perfect! Another blog event post to submit :) So without further delay, here are the deliciously decadent, tastefully rich Cranberry Caramel Bars I made this morning!

Join the Cooking with Alicia & Annie Blog event :)

Note: The only problem I had with these was the foil stuck to the sides of these in a few small spots. Just needed to loosen it. The foil was very helpful! I lifted the whole thing out and placed on a cutting board to cut them into individual bars. :)

Cranberry Caramel Bars

1 cup fresh cranberries
2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups uncooked regular oats
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 (10-ounce) package chopped dates
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1 (12-ounce) jar caramel sauce

Preheat oven to 350 F and line a 13x9x2 pan with aluminum foil, leaving a little overhang, and you can lift bars out to cut with no problem. (I used regular foil so I doubled it up, otherwise use heavy duty)

Combine 2 tablespoons of sugar in a small bowl with the cranberries and set aside. Combine 2 cups of flour and the next four ingredients. Stir in melted butter until crumbly. Reserve 1 cup of this mixture and set aside. Press remaining mixture into bottom of a lightly greased 13×9 baking dish or pan (I used a piece of wax paper placed over the top to press down the mixture). Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

Remove from oven and sprinkle with dates, pecans, and the cranberry mixture. Stir the caramel sauce and the remaining 1/3 cup flour together until smooth, spoon over cranberries. Sprinkle with the reserved 1 cup flour mixture. Bake an additional 20 minutes or until lightly browned.

Cool on a wire rack. Lift out of pan with foil overhang. Cut into bars, makes approximately 24 (I cut mine larger and got 18).

These bars have a wonderful flavor, a sweet treat with just enough cranberry twang!

11 Responses to Cranberry Caramel Bars

The Blonde Duck says:

I love cranberries! These look divine.

The Food Librarian says:

Beautiful!!!

Lisa says:

The sweet caramel with the tangy cranberries sounds delicious.

The bars look great – nice and chewy!!!

Marie says:

If these are even half as tasty as they look they must be mighty dangerous to have around! Delicious!

Wservir says:

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM!!! YUM!!!.
    We would like to add it to the Ptitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com (more than 30 000 visitors per day)

To add your site to the Ptitchef family you can use http://www.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to http://en.petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

octávio

Aggie says:

OH these look great!! Wow, I wish I had one right now!

Bunny says:

I love your close up pictures they look so good! I’ve never baked with cranberries.

Maria says:

The bars look delicious! I love the color too!

mimi says:

these look terrific, i love how the cranberries pop out in color!

Jude says:

Nice recipe.. It will be easy to convince myself that these are healthy and I won’t feel so guilty about eating a whole sheet pan.