Cinnadoodles – Snickerdoodles with a twist

When I saw this recipe posted by Maria over at Two Peas and Their Pod I just had to try it. I added cinnamon chips to my grocery list and set off to the store. I had heard of cinnamon chips before, in fact several years ago I mailed some to a friend of mine in Germany as she couldn’t get them. Anyway, I checked the store shelves, but there were none to be found. I hit the next grocery store and again, nothing. Very disappointed I set off to my local small town grocer, feeling certain it was a lost cause, and I couldn’t believe they had them! I bought three bags, so I guess I’ll be making more of these fabulous cookies!

Everyone here loved them and there were gone by the following day. They just didn’t last long! Thanks Maria for the recipe! Mine look like they have a lot more cinnamon on the outside, but the more the merrier I always say! LOL

Oh, and on another note, how did I ever live without a cookie scoop?? I just finally bought myself one of these handy little contraptions and it’s my new best friend :) What a joy! Several times I had to tell the kids to “put it back before you break it” when they would ask “Mom, is this an ice cream scoop??”. No, it’s MINE MINE MINE, leave it in the drawer! LOL ;-)

Cinnadoodles
Adapted from Martha Stewart’s Cookies

2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
About a half a bag of cinnamon chips

3 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. Put butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in eggs. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture. Add in cinnamon chips.

2. Stir together cinnamon and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl. Shape dough into round balls; roll in cinnamon sugar. Space 3 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper or a Silpat.

3. Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until edges are golden, 12 to 14 minutes. Don’t overbake. Let cool on cookie sheet for a minute or two, then transfer to a cooling rack.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :)

17 Responses to Cinnadoodles – Snickerdoodles with a twist

Sortin'ItAllOut says:

I have never heard of cinnamon chips–do they just taste like cinnamon or what?

We love our cookie scooper–it is so much fun, and the cookies are more uniform when we use it.

Bunny says:

What could be better than a cookie devouted to being all CINNAMON inside and out!!! These look terrific!

Lisa magicsprinkles says:

Mmmmm! I’ve left a surprise for you at my blog!

Marie says:

Ohhh Yummo! We can’t get cinnamonchips over here. I wish we could! Those sound delicious!

Cheri Sicard says:

I have never heard of Cinnamon chips. Are they chocolate and cinnamon or just cinnamon? This is a new food on me and that doesn’t happen often.

But the subject of cinnamon and chocolate got me thinking that Mexican chocolate is mixed with cinnamon and almonds. Wonder if that would work for a chocolate chunk cookie? I will have to give it a try and let you know.

Maria says:

I am so glad you made these cookies. They are so delicious! I love the last photo!! These cookies do make you smile!

The Blonde Duck says:

I’ve got to find those when I go to the store! They sound delightful! I think we’re having an office party this week, and these would be great to whip up!

Grace says:

my name is grace, and i’m addicted to cinnamon. seriously. that being said, this is perhaps my ultimate cookie. very nice. :)

Shanbanan says:

Cinnamon chips are just cinnamon–no chocolate involved. I’ve found them difficult to locate in my area as well. One Kroger in the area carries them, but none of the others do (which I just find weird). The last time I was at that store, I bought like 10 bags because I, too, am addicted to cinnamon. (I don’t see anything wrong w/ having about 3 times the amount of cinnamon on the outside of a snick personally.)

I’ve thought about adding cinna chips to my snicks, but haven’t actually gotten around to making them lately. I’ve been using them in a crunchy oatmeal cookie w/ chopped pecans and then rolling them in cinnamon sugar like I would a snickerdoodle and then mailing them overseas to a soldier w/ Operation Baking Gals. It’s a terrific cookie that travels well and has a long shelf life.

I’ve thought that MS’s snickerdoodle cookie looked a little cakey for my tastes, but maybe I shouldn’t judge. Other cookies from her book have turned out well for me.

Honestly, though, I can’t imagine anything that these cinna chips wouldn’t be good in

Shan

Oh do they ever look good. I have been craving something with cinnamon!

John says:

FINALLY, a good and fluffy snickerdoodles recipe that doesn’t require cream of tartar. I have been looking for one for ages. Thank you so much for posting.

Beth says:

Delish!!! I love the idea of cinnamon chips.
    I’m a fellow TWD baker, and I was thinking that it would be nice if we all could chip in and get Laurie some small token/gift for all the work she does. Would you be willing to contribute? If I can get enough people, it would only be about $1 per person. No pressure :-) Let me know! [email protected]

Melissa says:

I made a little variation to these…I didn't have cinnamon chips…

I used a package of vanilla pudding mix and caramel chips (little balls of caramel – found 'em at Walmart) and used a little less sugar and flour… They turned out awesome!

Oh I've had those caramel chips before and they are GOOD! I bet the cookies were great!

Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] says:

Mmmm is right!! Delicious!

Oh yes, yum!

[...] from me you might like:Snickerdoodles with a TwistCinnamon Chip Pumpkin CookiesChocolate Chip Cinnamon CookiesHoney Pear [...]