Meatball Sandwiches

One of my boys wanted a meatball sandwich. So I made spaghetti and meatballs for everyone else and granted his request :) I love meatballs, but frankly I hate making them. LOL! It used to be that when I made them it was enough for a double batch. Now that the younger boys are getting bigger and eating more, AND since my father in-law has been staying with us, there’s only a few left over to snack on the next day.

This meal was from last week, but I had other deadlines that needed completing so I’m just now getting around to posting it.

Meatballs

1 pound ground beef
3/4 pound ground pork
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 handfuls of bread crumbs
2 tablespoons dried basil
2-3 handfuls of freshly grated parmesan cheese
2 eggs
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Use hands to thoroughly mix everything together. Form meatballs, approximately 1 1/2″ in diameter, by rolling between your palms. If meat mixture is too wet or sticky, add more bread crumbs to the mix. Makes 35-40 meatballs.

To prepare meatballs, heat some olive oil (couple tablespoons) in a large skillet and (if you like) add a clove of diced garlic. I’m a garlic nut, so… :) Ok, anyway, brown the meatballs on all sides and put in a pot full of sauce (recipe below), bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Simmer uncovered for 2-3 hours. Yum!

This is a basic sauce recipe, you can jazz it up however you like:

Amanda’s Sauce

olive oil
small onion, diced
1-2 cloves garlic
2 6-oz cans tomato paste
1 15-oz can tomato sauce
6 tomato paste cans of water
pepper to taste
2 tablespoons dried basil
garlic salt to taste

Heat oil, onion and garlic in large saucepan, cook until tender. Add water, tomato sauce and tomato paste to garlic and onion. Mix well. Add basil, garlic salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer.

Makes enough sauce for two family size servings (family size = 4 adults or 2 adults and 4 children with leftovers).

For Meatball Sandwiches, cover bread with meatballs, a little sauce and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese. Add parmesan if you like.

13 Responses to Meatball Sandwiches

I lughed when I saw this post! I just posted meatloaf! I’m telling you, we’re two peas in a pod, or great mind think alike, Or twins seperated at birth, or something weird is going on! I must say, I like your balls. :)

Ha! You’re right Megan, we are very much alike!

The Blonde Duck says:

I love meatballs! We always make a batch that takes months to eat through (frozen, of course!) As soon as I get some room in my freezer, I’m making another batch.

Julie says:

I thought my hubby made the best meatball sandwiches…but these look pretty darned good. I think a side by side taste test is in order.

Candy says:

Oh we love meatball subs around here. What a great mom to fix what he wanted!

kellypea says:

I’ve never made these before, but MAN they look soooooo good. My husband would probably fall over if he came home to a plate of meatball heaven. I should treat him, huh?

Bridgett says:

These look delicious! This would be a definite hit with my hubby.

Bunny says:

I’m making meatball subs this week too! I hear you about the boys, just wait if you think they eat alot now!!

I can always eat meatballs…I make a ton at one time with tomato sauce and then freeze the rest. We have enough for at least 3 more meals!!!!!

JackieBlue says:

How do you cook the meatballs? It doesn’t say.. My boys will love this, too. Can’t wait to make it.

Right you are jackieblue! I have just edited the post to reflect the instructions. Thanks for pointing that out :)

Veronica says:

I hate making meatballs too, but they love them around my house. I usually make a lot whenever I make them and just freeze them, but not in the sauce-just plain.

[...] chopped (1/2 cup)1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)1 (14-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce (I used my homemade sauce)1 teaspoon chili powder1/2 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon pepper2 large eggs1 cup small curd creamed [...]