Italian Stew

I pulled this recipe out of one of those little grocery aisle booklets. This one is from Taste of Home and it’s definitely a keeper. It comes together fairly quickly, especially if you assemble a few things ahead of time, you could throw it together after work and have a 30 minute meal :)

Tips: If you would like to make some things ahead of time I suggest doing the following and refrigerating them until ready to cook:

• trimming and cutting up the green beans
  • Combining the canned tomatoes, tomato paste and oregano
  • brown the ground beef, italian sausage and onion, drain

Italian Stew

1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb bulk mild Italian sausage
1 cup chopped onion
1 can (15 oz) cannellini or white kidney beans (the recipe says rinsed and drained, I just dumped them in)
2 cups cut fresh green beans
1 can (14.5 oz) Italian stewed tomatoes
1 cup vegetable broth (I use a 15 oz can)
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 bunch escarole, trimmed and torn (I don’t use this)
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

In a large skillet or Dutch oven, cook the beef, sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add cannellini, green beans, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, oregano, salt and pepper.

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add escarole (again, I skip this); cover and simmer 5 minutes longer or until escarole is wilted. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Yield: 6 servings.

Original recipe on Taste of Home
here

Tags: ,

6 Responses to Italian Stew

The Blonde Duck says:

I was wanting to try this! I’m glad it worked out.

Carmen Cooks says:

yum, this looks great for a cold day!

Aggie says:

This looks really good! Total comfort food and sounds so tasty!

Bridgett says:

This looks and sounds yummy! I like those quick meals.

Sortin'ItAllOut says:

Hi Amanda, I tried this recipe and the funniest thing happened! It is no longer Italian Stew–it is Ground Beef and bean soup :)

My husband doesn’t like tomatoes (but he’ll eat tomato soup) so I thought I’d make it 2 ways, for myself and the kids I was going to do it “right” and for my husband I was going to use tomato soup instead of tomatoes and tomato paste.

Well, when I dumped the broth in (I used beef broth) I thought, “I’ll just leave it like that.” And so it is Ground Beef and Bean Soup ( with a little italian sausage for a surprise I guess) :)

I did double the broth, then and add some xanthan gum (I was out of cornstarch) to thicken it up a bit. I served it with some garlic cheese bread.

It tastes good–so I’m sure we’ll all enjoy it! Thank-you for the “starter” recipe!

It’s funny how recipes can turn out sometimes!

Grammy’s Recipes

Thanks all!

Sortinitallout – That’s cool! I love when recipes evolve. Since I made changes to their original recipe, I guess mine was an evolution as well LOL