Hot Hamburger Sandwiches

This is an old favorite in our house, one of my husband’s favorite meals. It’s very simple to put together, so simple it really doesn’t require a recipe. Basically you cook hamburgers, either on the grill or fry them in a pan, then put the burger between two slices of bread. Cut the sandwich in half, spread apart on the plate and put a dollop of mashed potatoes in the middle. Add brown or beef gravy and you’re done!

If the thought of this grosses your kids out, just put their burgers on buns as usual. :)

41 Responses to Hot Hamburger Sandwiches

Bunny says:

Now why haven’t I thought of this before!! I love this!!

Aggie says:

This looks so tasty! Total comfort food! And it’s making me hungry right now!

Maryann says:

Looks very homey and warm :)

Sortin'ItAllOut says:

This is great! A new twist , but still an inexpensive meal.

Thank-you!

The Blonde Duck says:

I’ve never thought of this and I love it! So great!

Kate says:

That is so humble and honest, isn’t it? I can picture that on a million tables of families across America. It looks delicious, and reminds me of a hot open faced roast beef sandwich, only I’d actually prefer this because you can get the edges of the burger really dark and crusty. I confess, I’d butter the bread first, too. :)

shweetpotato says:

K my hubby would LOVE this YAyyyy… looks nummy, carm

Elizabeth says:

Yum! When I was a little girl my papa would make these for all of us grandchildren.Thank you for bringing back such wonderful memories.And my husband iis a huge meat and potatoes kind of guy.I think I will be making this for him very soon.

You stole this idea from Trailer Park Boys. Bubbles and Ray go to Bangor, Maine. U.S.A. and they eat Hot Hamburger Sandwiched.

LOL I didn't steal anything. My MIL showed me how to make this meal many many years ago. That's like saying someone stole barbecued ribs. Sheesh.

thruthebugsonmywindshield says:

GREAT idea!!! My mom made something like this when I was a kid and had forgotten all about it! Hysterical reply to Anonymous "steal". Bwwwwahahahahaha!

LMAO I forgot all about that comment and reply! Snort.

Kim says:

Gee…leave off the bread and add grilled onions to the top with that brown gravy. Presto…chopped steak! ;-)

Kim – Yes pretty similar! :)

Les says:

I made this tonight. Was very tasty. This will definitely become a weekly standard in my personal menu. Thanks.

Paul Abernathy says:

That has got to be one of the most unappetizing pictures of a hot hamburger sandwich that I have ever seen. Next time, buy the large can of gravy and smother the hamburger in it, because it sure looks dry. If you can’t use fresh, Texas Toast, you are better off without bread. You need to use a bread that is fresh, and thick enough to stand up to the gravy, which should be more than just a drizzle over the top. Don’t try to be fancy with a hot sandwich.

• 16.1

Hi Paul. Thanks for your candid opinion and feedback. We enjoy them this way as some of our family members appreciate more gravy than others. And white bread works just fine for us. Sorry you found it unappetizing, I’m sure there are other websites and blogs out there that will fit your needs. Your mother may not have been very proud of your rudeness however, so please keep that in mind as you leave comments elsewhere on the internet. Manners still apply, even though you may not be face to face with the person you are addressing. Makes me wonder if you opinion would have been expressed exactly as you did here if you had been face to face with me. No matter, I’m sure you’ve moved on anyway. Have a great day.

Susan says:

Well said Amanda..I agree

Lisa says:

Oh, this is just what I need for dinner tonight! Total comfort food, and will completely satisfy my craving for fall weather (I’m so tired of the heat and humidity here in SC!). My mom used to do this with leftover roast when I was a kid to stretch the leftover meat so it would feed the whole family, and we loved it. I never even thought to do it with burgers. I am always looking for new things to do with ground beef. Husband’s gonna love this! Thanks, Amanda!

Wanda says:

Amanda…this is one of my family’s favorite meals too!
    And your picture of it….looks yum! ;)

Debbie Thompson says:

You said that very well indeed Amanda! It really makes me want one JUST LIKE THAT right now! Thanks for sharing! And don’t pay any attention to the rude comments some posted!

vi says:

actually that looks really good
    i’ve never had a burger like that but you can be sure i am going to try it

Shirlene says:

Looks like a home cooked meal to me and we do this with leftover roast as well . YUMMY

Foodiewife says:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me, this is a tasty looking recipe. I try to balance healthy eating, when possible. But, once in a while, it’ s the simple recipes in life that my family loves most. Sorry someone was so rude. Good for you for leaving that comment on your blog and responding the way that you did. I say, if you don’t like it– move on. I love your recipes, Amanda.

Hi Amanda! We love this idea of yours. We don’t have a burger like this in the Philippines but we can only imagine how delicious that tastes. We think you handled yourself pretty well with that rude commenter. :)

Ana says:

Oh Amanda… we would never have eaten a sandwich like that, but we sure as heck will now. I wish I could just grab the sandwich right off the screen, (hubby agrees and has requested an immediate attention to this recipe) BTW… Texas toast would be too much braed in my opinion, white is perfect because you would taste more meat and gravy and the potatoes are a perfect fit too. Love your blog. Thank you for teaching me how to cook and for expanding our family’s palette. You Rock!

Ana's Husband says:

Amanda that sandwich looks FN good and I want it now. Do you deliver? ;)
    All the best Amanda, keep blogging great recipes for my wife to cook for me. It looks so good.

ally says:

Great response to the hater Amanda :) I thought this looked amazing from the get go. Sorry I didn’t comment earlier. My husband is totally going to love this dish, glad you called attention to it so I remember to make it for him! Keep up the great work, love your recipes!

Elizabeth Whittle says:

I bet french fries would be good in the middle also! smothered I’m that gravy! yummy!

Hey Amanda! Thanks for the great idea. I’m going to make this tonight for myself and hubby. It looks delicious!! I used to have hot roast beef sandwiches as a kid with mom and grandma, same kinda concept here. Thanks again :)

Erik says:

Very nice hot hamburger sandwich recipe, Amanda. This is a staple of small-town Midwest cafes. It’s very popular in the colder months and people come out of the woodwork when it’s on special. It’s easy to make quickly and filling, which also makes it a hit with construction workers or other crews looking for something over the lunch hour. Smart people like yourself also make it at home :)

Two quick thoughts –

Prepare to your taste, but don’t be afraid of the gravy!

And this sounds stupid, but I noticed there were no utensils in your photo. When I was little and had it for the first time, I wondered for a moment how I was supposed to pick up and eat a gravy-covered sandwich. Obviously that’s not how it works – a fork works for the potatoes and the sandwich.

Nice site and nice job introducing people to this classic! Keep up the good work.

• 30.1

Hi Erik :) Thanks! The lack of gravy in the picture is really just for the picture so those that haven’t experienced one before can “see” it without it being drenched. And yes, you definitely eat these with utensils, it’s definitely not a pick up and eat sandwich haha! Every time I mention making these my husband gets all excited. Just a favorite of is!