Pork tenderloin sandwiches (schnitzel) & fried potatoes

I’m pretty sure that the only place you can find a pork tenderloin sandwich is in Iowa, specifically at the Iowa State Fair. Now of course I could be way off base here and maybe you can get them somewhere else, but I don’t know where! Anyone whose ever had one loves them. It’s basically pounded pork tenderloins, breaded and fried, served on a bun with chopped pickles and onions with ketchup and/or mustard. mmmm!

These are also known as Schnitzel, a German recipe that’s really the same thing, only they usually use veal, much more expensive. I use boneless thin cut pork chops, it more economical and tastes just as good. Now I happen to be lucky and have a niece who is full blown German and made these for me cooked in butter (can you FEEL your arteries hardening?!) rather than oil and they were marvelous. I paired mine with some fried potatoes and have included both of my recipes below.

Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches

boneless pork chops, thin cut
dry bread crumbs
flour
eggs
butter or margarine (sticks)

Place flour in one dish and bread crumbs in another. Crack 5-6 eggs into a third dish and whisk until scrambled.

Trim any extra fat off of chops then pound thin with a meat mallot. Dredge each chop in flour first, then dip in egg, finally coat in bread crumbs. Press crumbs into chop with your hands. Move each breaded chop to a plate until all chops are breaded.

Melt 1/2 stick butter in skillet over medium high heat. Add 3-4 breaded chops to pan, as many as you can fit. Cook in butter for about 3-4 minutes then turn over with tongs and cook the other side. Both sides should be golden brown. Cook in batches, adding more butter as needed, and move finished chops to paper towels to drain.

Serve in hamburger buns with chopped pickles, onions, mustard and ketchup. (I personally skip the mustard) ;)

Fried Potatoes

2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup onion, minced
1-2 tbsp olive oil
lemon pepper
5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until tender. Add potatoes and sprinkle with lemon pepper. Cook over medium heat, add a little more oil if too dry, turning occasionally with spatula. Cook until potatoes are crispy brown on the outside, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes, checking tenderness with fork.

LEFTOVER NOTE: If you have some breaded tenderloins left over, line wax paper between each one, wrap in plastic wrap, then foil and freeze. To reheat, separate patties and place in a 13×9 baking pan, cover with foil and bake 20-25 minutes at 375 F.

20 Responses to Pork tenderloin sandwiches (schnitzel) & fried potatoes

Sortin'ItAllOut says:

Amanda, That looks so good! My Dad was just talking about “pork chop” sandwiches, and my daughter thought that was “gross”–wait til she sees this it might just change her mind.

And those fried potatoes look so good–I’ve always been disappointed in my fried potatoes–never had a recipe just been told to cook em til they are done. I’ll have to try it your way next time!

Thank-you for a great blog.
    Cathy

Bridgett says:

Oh wow, fried meat in a sandwich… How do you beat that? I am loving those fried potatoes. They remind me of how my Dad would make them.

The Blonde Duck says:

It looks so good! I’ll eat anything fried. I must admit, I’m over here giggling and crowing, “Schnitzel!” just because I love the word.

Wow…looks delicious. I haven’t seen those around here in Virginia but my mom is German and has made schnitzel and it is very good!

Katherine Aucoin says:

Amanda, I know how delicisous these sandwiches are. Yours look so good, I’m drooling over here!

Prudy says:

That looks fantastic. Hey welcome to TWD also. You’re gonna love it.

Maria says:

I don’t eat meat but the potatoes look tasty!!

Melissa's Journey says:

That looks like GREAT comfort food!

Bridget says:

This ALL looks so good. Boy, it’s only 10am and I could so eat a couple of those sandwiches right now! :)

Elle says:

Hello? It’s lunchtime, don’t you know you’re torturing us with all of this amazing food? Geez, the nerve of some people, hahaha!

Seriously, this look SO good, that my mouth started watering when I saw the photos.

That porkchop looks like it would be good for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I would even go for a pork chop snack right now!

Thanks everyone :) This is a favorite in our house.

Julie says:

Mmm…another winner. I’ve made plenty of breaded pork chops but never thought of sandwiching them. Looks great!

Sortin'ItAllOut says:

Hi Amanda, We did try your fried potatoes(first time we had a recipe).
    My dd (age 12) did it and we (she) still was not able to achieve those great brown potatoes!

Instead they cooked awhile, then we turned up the heat and instead of browning nicely they stuck to the bottom–any suggestions? I was thinking the oil wasn’t hot enough to start with.

I know frying potatoes isn’t rocket science, but I would like mine to look like yours–just because I love that browned potato taste!

They were good-and I was able to scrape some browned bits from the bottom of the pan, but that’s just not what I was going for!

Thank-you again for a great blog!

It’s possible that the heat was too low. I put the pan on the stove over medium-high heat, add some olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook that for a couple minutes, then toss in the raw cubed potatoes. Shake some lemon pepper or other seasonings on them and let them cook a bit, maybe 4-5 minutes. Loosen them from the bottom if needed, then flip them or stir them around a bit. Do this a few times until you achieve that browned affect, then reduce the heat and cover. I hope they work for you! :)

Sortin'ItAllOut says:

Hi Amanda,
    My daughter tried the fried potatoes again and they not only tasted great this time, they LOOKED great! Thanks for the tip. All we had to do was turn up the heat.

Thank-you again for a great blog and some great recipe ideas!

Grammy’s Recipes

I’m so glad the potatoes worked for you this time! I love those taters, need to make them again soon, a nice alternative from french fries

Mary says:

Grew up on Tenderloin sandwiches in Western Iowa. Every trip back to Iowa always had to have several sandwiches before leaving. We usually started when we rolled into town and a few more times and then again just as we were leaving. Had to have our “fix”! Thanks so much!

Pudin says:

Sound similar to a Hossier Breaded Tenderloin. I have been unable to find anthing close living in NC.

Here is link to a Tutorial on making the Breaded Tenderloin. http://web.mac.com/davydd/Site/BPT_Tutorial.html